It is impossible to ignore the apparent impact of artificial intelligence in our everyday lives. As presented in the infographic below by techjury.net, there is hardly any critical sector or industry that does not rely on AI to perform specific tasks that humans find difficult or impossible to complete.
AI is an advanced field of computer science whereby computer systems are designed to exhibit or mimic characteristics associated with human behavior. These characteristics include the ability to learn (acquiring information and the rules for using the said information), reasoning (using these rules to make informed judgments), self-correction (learning from previous failures), understanding language, and other mental capabilities.
Forms of AI technology
To help differentiate between some of the terms thrown around the idea of AI, here are some general definitions with technologies associated with AI. These areas are not separate from each other – for example, robotics can utilize machine vision technologies, and robotics process automation can utilize natural language processing for customer service chatbots.
- Robotics: Engineering involved in designing and manufacturing robots. The significant advantage of this technology is that some of the robots can be utilized to perform tasks that are difficult or impossible by human standards.
- Robotic process automation: The use of specialized computer programs or software robots that automate and standardize high-volume repetitive and tedious tasks usually done by humans.
- Machine learning: The science of making computer systems perform actions without being explicitly programmed. By using existing data, computers can forecast future behaviors, patterns, and outcomes without needing human intervention.
- Natural language processing: Focused on the interactions between computers and human languages, especially how computer systems can be programmed to analyze, interpret, and manipulate a large amount of natural language data.
- Machine vision: The science and technology of using computer systems to provide imaging-based automated inspection and analysis with the aid of a camera, analog-to-digital conversion, and digital signal processing.
Applications of AI in various industries
The influence of AI technology can be seen across sectors such as transportation, education, manufacturing, online shopping, communication, sports, media, healthcare, politics and government, banking and finance, aerospace, and so much more.
Below is a list of essential industries impacted by AI:
- Transportation: Autonomous car, also known as a self-driving car, is a vehicle that can sense its environment and is capable of moving without human interference. This technology can transform the transportation system, because it can analyze traffic and alternative routes, thus reducing travel times.
- Manufacturing: high performing robots work faster, and complete tasks more efficiently than humans. Also, they can work for long periods nonstop as long as the power required for them to function is available. By using 3D technology and machine vision, these machines can speed up the process of product manufacturing.
- Healthcare: Applications such as autonomous surgical robots, virtual nursing assistants, automated image diagnosis, and dosage error reduction have been some of the ways AI has been crucial for the technological advancements in the health sector.
- Entertainment: machine learning can predict a user’s behavior to make recommendations on the type of movie, music, TV shows, and other content he’ll be interested in. Also, adverts can now be personalized based on the user’s preference, thereby increasing the chances a marketer will make a sale.
- Sports: AI technology like automation and predictive analysis can be used in business decisions, sponsorship activations, ticket sales, and determining athletes’ performance.
Future applications of AI would be utilized in automated transportation, cyborg technology, solving problems associated with climate change, deep-sea and space exploration.
If the projected growth of the AI software market from $1.4 billion in 2016 to $59.8 billion in 2025 is anything to go by, AI is set for a massive takeover in the coming years.
About Techjury.Net: Techjury.net is a team of software experts that tests and reviews software to help companies improve their offerings and help end users choose the best products for their needs. They subscribe and thoroughly test all aspects of different software to create impartial and complete reviews, to give praise and honest, constructive criticism where it may be needed. Visit Techjury.net for more information.