Welcome to Episode 63 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editor Steve Crowe and Mobile Robot Guide editor Mike Oitzman review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
For The Robot Report Podcast sponsorship opportunities, please contact Courtney Nagle.
In Episode 63 of The Robot Report Podcast, Steve Crowe and Mike Oitzman interview robotics innovator Esben Østergaard, CEO of Reinvest Robotics and co-founder of Universal Robots. The group discuss the potential impact of the pending EU AI Act and Machinery Directive. These directives are likely to impact the growth of AI startup in the EU and burden them with rules that will hamper innovation. Østergaard offers his thoughts about innovation and how successful robotics startups need a competitive playing field to be successful. Could this be the death of robotic and AI innovation in the EU? Listen in to learn more.
(Editor’s Note – Esben Østergaard recently commented on the impact of the EU AI Act and Machinery Directive in his blog – HERE).
The approach of the current [EU AI Act and Machinery Directive] is sufficient. The problem is with governance. We recommend focusing on ensuring that products on the market actually comply with the current EU law, not creating new regulations.
– Esben Østergaard, CEO, Reinvest Robotics
Crowe and Oitzman also reviewed the latest robotics news stories from the last week, including the following stories reported on The Robot Report:
- Robotics Summit & Expo 2022 Call for Speakers
- MiR is Building Autonomous Pallet Jacks
- Knightscope IPO Taking Security Robots Public
- Serve Robotics Closes $13 Million Funding Round
- Nuro, Waymo Bring Autonomous Deliveries to California
Recent Robot Report Podcasts
- Podcast 62 – Dexterity’s Samir Menon on Robotic Picking. Plus SPAC Problems and China’s Tech Crackdown
- Podcast 59 – Zebra Technologies’ Melonee Wise Discusses New Fetch AMRs, Plus Softbank Robotics Europe Sale & AutoStore IPO
- Podcast 58 – Pitney Bowes Deploys Ambi Robotics’ E-Commerce Solution, Plus Waymo’s Dead Ends & Armed Quadrupeds
- Podcast 54 – PTC’s Jon Hirschtick on Founding SolidWorks and Onshape, Plus 2021 Robotics Start-Up Favs
- Podcast 53 – RightHand Robotics’ Bin-Bicking Solution, Plus Waymo’s Taxies and Locus Robotics’ 500Mth Pick
- Podcast 51 – Intel Drops RealSense 3D Sensor, Plus the TeslaBot & Stratom’s Autonomous Robots
- Podcast 50 – John Deere’s Acquisition of Bear Flag Robotics, Robotics Investments, More