Welcome to Episode 44 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editor Steve Crowe and Mobile Robot Guide editor Mike Oitzman review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
You can subscribe to The Robot Report Podcast on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, SoundCloud, Spotify and more. Please subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review!
For The Robot Report Podcast sponsorship opportunities, please contact Courtney Nagle.
In this podcast, Mike Oitzman speaks with Florian Pestoni, CEO of InOrbit, and Joe Wieciek, Software Operations Manager at Brain Corporation, about the origins and mission of The Robot Operations Group (affectionately known as RobOPS). This is an informal organization where anyone who is interested in the issues and problems with scaling robot fleets of Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMRs) from 10 to thousands of units is invited to join the conversation. The group holds monthly meetups and maintains a discourse server for the group. You’ll find links to these resources on their homepage.
Oitzman also sits down for a conversation about what it is like to participate on a standards committee with Mike Bearman, Chief Operating Officer at Vecna Robotics. Mike represented Vecna in the creation of the recently released ANSI/RIA R15.08 mobile robotic safety standard. If you’ve always wondered what it’s like to grind through the creation of a standard, then you’ll find this conversation enlightening. We also talk about what it takes to be compliant with R15.08 standard and how Vecna AMRs meet that standard.
- 0-1:24 – Show Intro
- 1:24-28:15 – Conversation with Florian Pestoni and Joe Wieciek about the Robot Operations Group
- 28:15-42:30 – Conversation with Mike Bearman from Vecna Robotics about participating in the R15.08 standards committee and how Vecna has engineered safety into their product line of autonomous mobile robots.
- 42:30-43:22 – Show Outro
- Ambi Robotics’ Sorting / Kitting Systems Trained in Simulation
- OnRobot’s Enrico Krog Iversen on EOAT Innovation, Plus READY Robotics’ VP Juan Aparicio Ojea
- Calibrate Ventures’ Kevin Dunlap on Berkshire Grey’s SPAC Play and Locus Robotics’ $150M Round
- Locus Robotics CEO Rick Faulk on $150M Series E and Unicorn Status, Plus Wilder Systems’ Cobots and Waymo’s Robotaxi
- Tertill CEO Helen Greiner on Gardening Robots, Plus Aurora Partners With Toyota
- Motiv Develops Perseverance Rover’s Arm, Oxbotica’s AV Software, & Boston Dynamics, Waymo News
- A3’s President Jeff Burnstein on North American Robot Sales, Plus Canvas Robotic Drywall Solution, More
- American Robotics’ FAA Approval and BLOS Operations, Boston Dynamics Dancing Humanoids, and Cruise’s New $2B Round
- Teradyne’s Acquisition Strategy, Plus Mobile Manipulation and Bossa Nova Robotics Falters
- AMP Robotics & Recycling Automation; Festo & the MassRobotics-GM Gripper Challenge
- Boston Dynamics’s Future Following Hyundai’s Acquisition, DARPA’s SubT Challenge, More
- Pittsburgh Robotics Cluster, Aurora Acquires Uber ATG, AutoX’s Driverless Fleet, More