MICROMO has launched the new MC3/MCS motion-control family — an extensive and versatile basis for the complete FAULHABER motion system. The new controllers are optimized for use with FAULHABER motor technologies, offer electronics for simple operation with state-of-the-art interfaces for multi-axis applications, and provide a motion-control system with compact integration into industrial-grade housing.
The FAULHABER Motion Controllers v3.0 are high-performance, intelligent, networked drives optimized for both reseller and automation applications. These high-bandwidth controllers feature 100-microsecond sample time for velocity, position, and current feedback. They also include the following capabilities:
- Industry-standard network and control interfaces (Ethernet fieldbus technology, USB, network communication protocols, CANopen and RS-232)
- Robust power stage with extensive transient suppression and thermal protection (up to 10 A continuous and 30 A peak)
- Maximum performance and precision from all FAULHABER coreless DC motors, brushless DC motors and linear DC servo motors (and high-power matchup with a wide range of other motors up to 300 W on the market)
- New FAULHABER Motion Manager 6 setup wizard provides simplified use of FAULHABER products
- Decentralized intelligence provides the ability to save program sequences (up to eight programs can be used over all interface technologies — Ethernet fieldbus technology, USB, network communication protocols CANopen and RS-232)
- Users program these movements in BASIC with Motion Manager 6 in a single axis and create additional programs in network installations
Three device variants cover different application areas. The Motion Controller MC 5005 and MC 5010 with housing and plug connectors are designed for use in switch cabinets or in devices. Motion-control systems, such as servo motors with integrated Motion Controllers, are already preconfigured and make it possible for use directly in the automation environment.
An intelligent module system makes it possible to integrate diverse brushless and brush-commutated DC servo motors into standardized housing. The MC 5004 motion controller is designed for use in existing housing as an open plug-in card.
An optionally available motherboard makes it easy to get started in multi-axis applications. All three versions use the same technology basis and offer the same interface options, as well as the same operating principle and functionality.
Performance and flexibility
- Multiple velocity and position feedback options (seven options)
- Digital I/O and analog inputs
- Controller/subordinate and stand-alone operations available
- Modular design with three performance classes
- Available as plug-in card version
- Optional motherboard as development environment
- With Ethernet fieldbus technology interface for multi-axis applications
- Extensive protective and diagnostic functions, status LEDs
- Expanded supply range with separate electronics supply
- Improved current measurement
MICROMO launches new optical encoders
Clearwater, Fla.-based MICROMO also announced the new high-precision IER3 and IERS3 optical encoders from Schonaich, Germany-based FAULHABER. Both encoders deliver 2 channel quadrature signals and an additional index signal.
The encoders are highly precise, thanks to the unique optical measuring principle. This measuring principle gives these encoders a strong edge in terms of accuracy and signal quality when compared with encoders with other measuring principles.
A FAULHABER DC micro motor or brushless DC servo motor can be positioned with a typical accuracy of 0.1 to 0.3 degrees with the IER3 and IERS3, making the encoders an ideal solution for a wide range of high-precision positioning applications across markets.
The encoders can be combined with series CXR and CR graphite-commutated FAULHABER DC micro motors, starting with a diameter of 22 mm, and with FAULHABER series BX4 and BP4 brushless DC servo motors. The encoders and their motor combinations can also be used with the new FAULHABER MCS/MC3 motion-control family.
The encoders are compact and lightweight in comparison with other optical encoders. The encoders are an opto-reflective system as a single-chip solution: As the LED, photodetectors, analysis unit, and interpolation levels are installed in one chip, the encoders take up minimal space.
The diameter-compliant IER3 and IERS3 encoders are mechanically identical and compatible with the magnetic FAULHABER IE3 encoder. They lengthen the motors only from 15.5 to 18.5 mm.
Both encoders are also available with line drivers as the IER3 L and IERS3 L. The line driver generates complementary output signals and makes the transmission of data particularly resistant to electrical interference, especially in encoders with long connecting cables.
The IER3 sets the standard and provides the highest resolution for its class with a resolution of up to 10,000 lines per revolution. The encoder achieves an angular resolution of 0.009 degrees, with the evaluation of 40,000 edges per revolution.
The high resolution results in high-control dynamics and precise speed control. A multitude of further resolution variants are available. The IERS3-500 provides resolutions of 250 and 500 lines per revolution.
The IER3 and IERS3 optical encoders are suitable for demanding positioning applications, such as those in medical technology laboratory automation, measuring technology, or in optical systems due to high accuracy and repeatability requirements.
The optical encoders can also be used in automation technology, semiconductor manufacturing, or robotics.
As the optical encoders are resistant to strong magnetic interferences, they are also well suited for applications with magnetic interferences such as in tomography or image processing.
MICROMO (part of FAULHABER GROUP) specializes in high?precision, micro drive systems, servo components and drive electronics. The product range includes brushless DC motors, brush DC motors, piezo motors, stepper motors, linear servo motors, gearheads, encoders, and motion controllers. They are used in demanding applications in markets such as medical, aerospace, optics, robotics, and semiconductor equipment.
At MICROMO, we don’t just offer the industry’s leading high-performance motion products. We engineer motion solutions.
Our application engineers look beyond just components to offer optimal solutions for custom mechanical and electrical requirements. MICROMO’s seasoned team has the experience in the field to assist customers with choosing the correct component and system for unique motion-control needs and to meet superior precision and reliability requirements.
To learn more, please contact MICROMO and speak with an engineer.