While we’re still waiting to hear from mobile robot companies as to how many orders were fulfilled by robots over the Thanksgiving / Black Friday / Cyber Monday holiday shopping weekend, Amazon today announced that Cyber Monday was the single biggest shopping day in the company’s history, based on the number of items ordered worldwide. We have a good feeling that the company’s use of mobile robots in its distribution centers are now working hard to fulfill those record number of orders.
Amazon reported hundreds of millions of products were ordered worldwide between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. The company reported that the iRobot Roomba 675 robot vacuum was among its top sellers for smart home items purchased.
“We’re focused on making this holiday season more convenient than ever for our customers, especially given how short this holiday shopping season will be,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer, Amazon. “We are thrilled that customers continue to come to Amazon in record numbers to discover what they need and want for the holidays. Thank you to our customers and employees all around the world for making this holiday shopping weekend the best yet.”
The company said it now offers more than 10 million items for one-day delivery through its Prime service, and millions of items are available for same-day delivery in 46 major metropolitan areas. In addition, the company expanded the number of pickup locations through its Amazon Hub offering, with Counter pickup points at locations such as Rite Aid, GNC and Stage stores, as well as at Health Mart independent pharmacies. Customers can also utilize the company’s Locker or Locker+ locations.
Other interesting notes offered by Amazon of orders over the weekend:
- Customers worldwide purchased more toys this Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined than ever before. Among the tens of millions of toys purchased during this time period, best-sellers included LEGO Star Wars Darth Vader’s Castle, Monopoly Game: Disney Frozen 2 Edition and Hasbro games such as Jenga, Guess Who and Candy Land Kingdom of Sweet Adventures.
- Cyber Monday was the single biggest shopping day for Amazon Fashion worldwide, with more items purchased than any other single day in the company’s history. Best-sellers included Carhartt Men’s Acrylic Watch Hat and Champion Men’s Powerblend Fleece Pullover Hoodie.
- Amazon customers worldwide ordered more than 25 million home items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, combined.
- Best-sellers on Black Friday in the U.S. included Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, Instant Pot Duo80 – 8 Quart, 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service: Personal Genetic DNA Test, L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco Bigger Surprise and iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum.
- Customers worldwide purchased more than four million beauty products this Cyber Monday compared to last year, with best-sellers including Oral-B Genius Pro 900 Electric Toothbrush, Lagunamoon Essential Oils Top 6 Gift Set and L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Makeup Lash Paradise Mascara.
- Top-selling categories worldwide include Toys, Home, Fashion and Health and Personal Care.