Welcome to Episode 40 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editor Steve Crowe and Mobile Robot Guide editor Mike Oitzman review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
For The Robot Report Podcast sponsorship opportunities, please contact Courtney Nagle.
In this podcast, Steve Crowe and Mike Oitzman speak with Ken Goldberg and Jim Liefer of Ambi Robotics. Formerly known as Ambidextrous Laboratories, Ambi Robotics recently exited stealth mode by raising $6.1 million in seed funding for its picking robots and operating system that are based on simulation-to-reality artificial intelligence. They explain how Dex-Net, which was created by Goldberg’s team at UC Berkeley is powering Ambi’s robots. They also share lessons learned over the years, challenges of universal grasping and much more.
Oitzman also spoke with Paul Mikesell, founder and CEO of Carbon Robotics, who takes us inside the development of the company’s third-generation weeding robot. At the core of the machine is a high-power laser that “zaps” the weeds using high intensity thermal energy to destroy an individual plant, without disturbing the soil. As a result, farmers can become more eco-friendly and use fewer herbicides.
Crowe and Mike Oitzman also break down WTWH Media’s acquisition of Mobile Robot Guide, how it strengthens the growing robotics portfolio at WTWH Media, and the brand’s role in educating users about the benefits of mobile robots.
- 0-1:09 – RE2 Robotics & Futek Advanced Sensor Technology Ad Reads
- 1:10-9:31 – Show Intro; WTWH Media’s Acquisition of Mobile Robot Guide
- 9:32-45:18 – Conversation with Ken Goldberg and Jim Liefer of Ambi Robotics
- 45:19-47:29 – Futek Engineering Tip of the Week
- 59:03-1:14:07 – Conversation with Paul Mikesell, founder & CEO, Carbon Robotics
- 1:13:01-1:17:44 – Show Outro
Want to Be a Guest?
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of The Robot Report Podcast, or have recommendations for guests, please contact Steve Crowe. For sponsorship opportunities for The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle.
- OnRobot’s Enrico Krog Iversen on EOAT Innovation, Plus READY Robotics’ VP Juan Aparicio Ojea
- Calibrate Ventures’ Kevin Dunlap on Berkshire Grey’s SPAC Play and Locus Robotics’ $150M Round
- Locus Robotics CEO Rick Faulk on $150M Series E and Unicorn Status, Plus Wilder Systems’ Cobots and Waymo’s Robotaxi
- Tertill CEO Helen Greiner on Gardening Robots, Plus Aurora Partners With Toyota
- Motiv Develops Perseverance Rover’s Arm, Oxbotica’s AV Software, & Boston Dynamics, Waymo News
- A3’s President Jeff Burnstein on North American Robot Sales, Plus Canvas Robotic Drywall Solution, More
- American Robotics’ FAA Approval and BLOS Operations, Boston Dynamics Dancing Humanoids, and Cruise’s New $2B Round
- Teradyne’s Acquisition Strategy, Plus Mobile Manipulation and Bossa Nova Robotics Falters
- AMP Robotics & Recycling Automation; Festo & the MassRobotics-GM Gripper Challenge
- Boston Dynamics’s Future Following Hyundai’s Acquisition, DARPA’s SubT Challenge, More
- Pittsburgh Robotics Cluster, Aurora Acquires Uber ATG, AutoX’s Driverless Fleet, More