Welcome to Episode 25 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editors Steve Crowe and Eugene Demaitre review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
In this episode, Gene Demaitre and Steve Crowe speak with Evan Drumwright, CEO and co-founder of Dextrous Robotics. The Memphis-based robotics startup, which is exiting stealth mode, is attempting to automate the unloading of boxes from shipping containers. This is a major problem for logistics companies and a tough application for robotics.
Drumwright describes the company’s Chopstick system which takes a unique grasping and manipulation approach to solving this challenge. They also talk to Drumwright about his work on the Asimo bipedal robot while working at the Honda Research Institute and his thoughts on legged robotics in general.
Crowe and Demaitre also chat about the latest robotics investments, the remake of Short Circuit, Motional’s Level 4 autonomous vehicles that are coming to Nevada, and what a new MIT study found about how robots impact the future of work.
- 0-8:35 Short Circuit Remake; All-time favorite robot movies
- 8:36-39:51: Conversation with Evan Drumwright, CEO and Co-founder, Dextrous Robotics
- 39:52-40:26: RoboBusiness Direct Preview
- 40:27-46:37: Robotics Investments Recap
- 46:38-51:09: Motional OK’d for L4 autonomous vehicle tests in Nevada
- 51:10-:58:01 MIT study about robots and jobs
- 58:02-1:00:27: Happy Thanksgiving!
Want to Be a Guest?
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of The Robot Report Podcast, or have recommendations for guests, please contact Steve Crowe or Eugene Demaitre. For sponsorship opportunities for The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle.