Welcome to Episode 24 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editors Steve Crowe and Eugene Demaitre review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
Steve Crowe and Eugene Demaitre recently spoke with Aaron Prather, Senior Advisor for Technology, Research, and Planning at FedEx. Prather describes FedEx’s SenseAware ID, a lightweight sensor-based device for logistics tracking and technology opportunities for robotics startups at FedEx. Also included in the discussion are the RIA Interoperability Task Force and efforts to develop standards for autonomous mobile robots (AMRs). Other topics include:
- FedEx’s preparations for distribution of a COVID-19 vaccine
- Workforce development programs such as eKAMI
- The end of Walmart’s contract with Bossa Nova Robotics and the possible sale of Boston Dynamics by SoftBank
- Boston Dynamics’ and Honeywell‘s work on logistics products.
Crowe and Demaitre chat also review the latest investments in autonomous vehicle companies, including Inceptio, Nuro, and Pony.ai. In other news, the look at a Yale study about human mistreatment of robots and how designers can prepare for it.
- 0-2:55: Show intro
- 2:56-44:40: Conversation with FedEx’s Aaron Prather
- 44:41-45:16: RoboBusiness Direct preview
- 45:17-53:48: SoftBank reportedly shopping Boston Dynamics
- 53:49-59:19: Recent autonomous vehicle news
- 59:20-1:08:47: Why do humans abuse robots?
- 1:08:49-1:09:42: Show outro
Want to Be a Guest?
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of The Robot Report Podcast, or have recommendations for guests, please contact Steve Crowe or Eugene Demaitre. For sponsorship opportunities for The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle.