Welcome to Episode 40 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editor Steve Crowe and Mobile Robot Guide editor Mike Oitzman review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
For The Robot Report Podcast sponsorship opportunities, please contact Courtney Nagle.
In this podcast, Steve Crowe and Mike Oitzman speak with Jorgen Pedersen, president and CEO of RE2 Robotics, and Travis Schneider, business development manager of RE2 Robotics. We discussed the evolution of the company, which was founded in 2001. RE2 was focused nearly 100% on defense work in 2016, but now the defense sector accounts for less than one-third of its business.
We also discussed RE2 Robotics’ new Sapien line of intelligent robotic arms that launched earlier this week. The arms, which were originally engineered for the rugged requirements of the U.S. military, can operate in both structured and unstructured environments, including outdoors in harsh weather and in constrained indoor settings like operating rooms. The arms feature high strength-to-weight ratios, precise control, and dexterity that matches or exceeds the performance of human arms.
Crowe and Oitzman also recap some of the week’s top stories, including a resurfaced video that shows a self-driving car developed by a professor in South Korea back in 1995. The Ingenuity Helicopter achieved a couple of milestones this week as it gears up for the first attempted flight on another planet. We also hit on Sarcos Robotics announcing that it will go public via SPAC and a new heavy-duty autonomous mobile robot from Otto Motors.
- 0-1:08 – Ad Reads
- 1:09-10:05 – Show Intro
- 10:06-56:50 – Conversation with Jorgen Pedersen and Travis Schneider of RE2 Robotics
- 56:50-59:03 – Futek Engineering Tip of the Week
- 59:03-1:14:07 – News Recap
- 1:14:08-1:15:45 – Show Outro
Want to Be a Guest?
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of The Robot Report Podcast, or have recommendations for guests, please contact Steve Crowe. For sponsorship opportunities for The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle.
- OnRobot’s Enrico Krog Iversen on EOAT Innovation, Plus READY Robotics’ VP Juan Aparicio Ojea
- Calibrate Ventures’ Kevin Dunlap on Berkshire Grey’s SPAC Play and Locus Robotics’ $150M Round
- Locus Robotics CEO Rick Faulk on $150M Series E and Unicorn Status, Plus Wilder Systems’ Cobots and Waymo’s Robotaxi
- Tertill CEO Helen Greiner on Gardening Robots, Plus Aurora Partners With Toyota
- Motiv Develops Perseverance Rover’s Arm, Oxbotica’s AV Software, & Boston Dynamics, Waymo News
- A3’s President Jeff Burnstein on North American Robot Sales, Plus Canvas Robotic Drywall Solution, More
- American Robotics’ FAA Approval and BLOS Operations, Boston Dynamics Dancing Humanoids, and Cruise’s New $2B Round
- Teradyne’s Acquisition Strategy, Plus Mobile Manipulation and Bossa Nova Robotics Falters
- AMP Robotics & Recycling Automation; Festo & the MassRobotics-GM Gripper Challenge
- Boston Dynamics’s Future Following Hyundai’s Acquisition, DARPA’s SubT Challenge, More
- Pittsburgh Robotics Cluster, Aurora Acquires Uber ATG, AutoX’s Driverless Fleet, More