Listen to this article
Welcome to Episode 29 of The Robot Report Podcast, where each week Robot Report editors Steve Crowe and Eugene Demaitre review the latest robotics, automation and intelligent systems news and announcements, and interview leading roboticists, leaders of innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
For The Robot Report Podcast sponsorship opportunities, please contact Courtney Nagle.
In this podcast, Steve Crowe chats with Matanya Horowitz, founder and CEO of AMP Robotics. They discuss how AMP’s pick-and-place robots are improving the economics of the recycling industry. AMP raised a $55 million Series B to kick off 2021, so we unpack how the new funding will enable AMP to scale its current technology and develop new initiatives. Horowitz discusses the technical and business challenges AMP faces, as well as the evolution of its custom vision system and gripper.
Horowitz tells a valuable story about how the data collected by AMP’s vision system is opening up new revenue streams. Some customers are interested in using just AMP’s vision system, not the robots, to learn more about the quality of recyclable materials in the waste stream. I’ve talked to Fetch Robotics a lot about doing something similar with the data collected by its autonomous mobile robots.
Crowe also speaks with Josh Fox, an applications engineer at Festo USA. Josh was part of the team that won the recent MassRobotics-GM Gripper Challenge. Josh takes us inside the challenges and details the universal end effector Festo developed to handle a variety of sheet metal parts. The photo below is the best photo we’ve been able to track down about the winning end effector.
- 0-2:22: Show Intro
- 2:23-34:43 Conversation with Matanya Horowitz, founder and CEO, AMP Robotics
- 34:44-50:00 Conversation with Josh Fox, applications engineer, Festo USA
- 50:01-50:50 Show Outro
Want to Be a Guest?
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of The Robot Report Podcast, or have recommendations for guests, please contact Steve Crowe. For sponsorship opportunities for The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle.
- Watch Some New Recycling Robots in Action
- Recycling Robots Can Be Leased for Zero Down, No Interest From AMP Robotics
- AMP Robotics Raises $16M for Recycling Robots and AI
- AMP Robotics Launches New AI-Guided Dual-Robot System for the Recycling Industry
- AMP Robotics Announces Largest Deployment of AI-guided Recycling Robots
- Recycling Robot Learns Through System of Touch
- Finnish Robotics Aims to Be the Next Nordics Leader
- VIAVI Launches Optical Filters to Improve LiDAR Systems