Editor’s Note: Robotics Business Review‘s coverage emphasizes innovation, including start-up companies (or ‘young’ companies). RBR “Start-Up Profiles” highlight individual start-up companies using a consistent, templated format that makes for quick, yet informed reading, that also simplifies comparative analysis.
If you are interested in having your start-up profiled in Robotics Business Review (RBR), please contact Dan Kara (dkara[AT]wtwhmedia.com). There is no charge for submitting and posting Start-Up Profiles on RBR.
GrayMatter Robotics – Company Profile
|Country:||USA||# of Employees:
Funding Status – GrayMatter Robotics received a $20M A round in August 2022. To date the company has secured approximately $25M in funding.
GrayMatter Robotics’ solutions help manufacturers increase capacity and save costs by automating complex surface finishing and treatment applications in high-mix, high-variability production environments.
GrayMatter Robotics – Offerings Profile
Primary Target Markets – 1) Manufacturing, 2) Transportation, and 3) Defense
Technology / Product / Service(s) – GrayMatter Robotics is an AI and robotics company that offers smart robotic assistants for tedious and ergonomically challenging high-mix, high-variability manufacturing tasks. The company bundles its proprietary AI technologies with off-the-shelf robots, sensors, and tools and provides application-specific turnkey solutions to customers in a Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) format. The company’s first offering is the SCAN&SAN solution, an entire robotic surface finishing system, designed for the ease of operation and flexibility that high-mix manufacturers require.
Value Proposition – GrayMatter Robotics’ solutions help manufacturers increase capacity and save costs by automating complex surface finishing and treatment applications in high-mix, high-variability production environments. According to GrayMatter Robotics representatives the primary value drivers for the company’s solutions include lower cost compared to competitive offerings and rapid ROI. Specifically, the SCAN&SAND solution offers:
- Risk free adoption and operation
- Rapid deployment
- No programming and engineering costs
- Rapid time to value
- Increased productivity and quality consistency
Demand Drivers – The primary demand drives for GrayMatter Robotics’ manufacturing solutions include the need to:
- Improve manufacturing productivity and quality
- Reduce employee turnover
- Reduce operational costs
- Reduce worker injury
- Increase automation levels
- Speed and simplify robotics deployment
The company’s first offering is the SCAN&SAND solution, an entire robotic surface finishing system, designed for the ease of operation and flexibility that high-mix manufacturers require.
GrayMatter Robotics – Business Model(s) and Competition
Business Model – GrayMatter Robotics offers its SCAN&SAND as a service to its customers
Partners – GrayMatter works with a number of robotics and sensing solutions providers.
GrayMatter Robotics – Recent News
- GrayMatter Raises $20M Series A
- GrayMatter Robotics Awarded RBR50 Innovation Award for One of the World’s Top 50 Robotics Innovation
- GrayMatter Robotics Awarded $1M from the National Science Foundation
- Start-Up Profile – Wheelstair – Start-Up Profile – Wheelchair Add-On Overcomes Operational Barriers
- Start-Up Profile – RGo Robotics – Start-Up Profile – Vision Based Perception Solution for Mobile Robots and More
- ROEQ – Start-Up Profile – Critical Enabling Technologies for Autonomous Mobile Robots
- MAB Robotics – Start-Up Profile – Value Drivers Strong for Tunnel Inspection Using Quadrupeds
- GUSS Automation – Start-Up Profile – Autonomous, Precision Orchard Spraying Delivers Business and Social Benefits
- InOrbit – Start-Up Profile – Cloud-Based Management Software for Robot Fleets
- ModalAI – Start-Up Profile – Perception & Communications Solutions Enable Autonomy in Drones and Robots
- Ottonomy – Start-Up Profile – Autonomous Mobile Robots Provide for Outdoor and Indoor, Contactless Deliveries
- Accerion – Start-Up Profile – Triton System Delivers Millimeter Level Localization Accuracy for Mobile Robots
- Start-Up Profile – Ava Robotics – Autonomous Mobile Robots Power Telepresence and Disinfection Solutions