Editor’s Note: Robotics Business Review‘s coverage emphasizes innovation, including start-up companies (or ‘young’ companies). RBR “Start-Up Profiles” highlight individual start-up companies using a consistent, templated format that makes for quick, yet informed reading, that also simplifies comparative analysis.
Oculii – Company Profile
|Country:||USA||# of Employees:
Management – Steven Hong (CEO) and Lang Hong (CTO)
Funding Status – Oculii has raised a total of $21.1M in funding over 3 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Jun 8, 2018 from a Series A round. The company is open to investment.
Oculii offers AI-driven software that allows any radar to dynamically adapt and dramatically increase the resolution by over 100X.
Oculii – Offerings Profile
Primary Target Markets – Logistics / Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Transportation
Technology / Product / Service(s) – Oculii offers AI-driven software that allows any radar to dynamically adapt and dramatically increase the resolution by over 100X.
The software is also available in two compact, cost-effective radar sensors – the FALCON and the EAGLE. They provide a high-performance, low-cost, durable, and small-footprint perception solution that works in a wide variety of environments.
- FALCON – The FALCON is a compact, low-power radar sensor that delivers 2° horizontal resolution across a wide 120° Field of View, at up to 200-meter ranges. At 5 x 5 cm consuming less than 2.5W, the FALCON is well suited for cost-sensitive advanced driver-assist systems, industrial robots, and aerial drones.
- EAGLE – The EAGLE is a high-resolution commercial 4D imaging radar, designed for autonomous navigation. With more than 2000 virtual antenna elements, it delivers less than 1-degree joint angular resolution across both wide 120° Horizontal and 30° Vertical fields of View. Generating radar images with more than 50,000 points per second, it provides high-resolution visibility of more than 350 meters in all directions regardless of fog, rain, dirt, or other sensor obstruction.
Value Proposition – Although radar is the most widely used visibility technology in the industry today, improving radar has traditionally been a hardware approach (adding more antennas). This significantly increases cost, size, and power consumption. Because Oculii’s solutions are software based, they can deliver high resolution and long range sensing in a more compact package.
Demand Drivers – The scalability of Oculii’s technology can dramatically accelerate the transition towards a safer and more autonomous future. Its advanced AI software is packaged onto fully integrated radar sensors that are drop-in ready to provide high-resolution 4D perception for any autonomous system in a variety of industries, including transportation, agriculture, logistics/supply chain, mining, robotics, manufacturing, public safety, and construction.
Radars have been a part of the robotics industry for decades, providing all-weather sensing for systems to perform critical safety operations like emergency braking. But traditional radars have an extremely limited spatial resolution which falls short of requirements for the industry’s increasingly autonomous future. Improving the resolution of traditional radars requires more antennas, but this approach significantly increases the cost, size, and power consumption, limiting how much performance can be achieved in a compact, cost-effective package for an automotive system. Oculii’s software is the solution to this hardware problem.
Oculii’s target customers are medium to large OEMS and suppliers in a variety of industries, including transportation, agriculture, logistics/supply chain, mining, robotics, manufacturing, public safety, and construction.
Oculii – Business Model(s) and Competition
Business Model – Oculii sells radar modules directly to customers/suppliers/integrators/partners as well as licenses their software to partners/OEMs.
Partners – Oculii partners with AV and robotics companies, as well as Tier 1/Tier 2 suppliers, and OEMS.
Customers – Oculii’s target customers are medium to large OEMS and suppliers in a variety of industries, including transportation, agriculture, logistics/supply chain, mining, robotics, manufacturing, public safety, and construction.
Competitive Landscape – Robotmaster, Sprutcam, Siemens NX, and Delmia.
- Traditional Radar/LiDAR Companies
- “Lens” Radar
- Multi-Chip or Dense Array MIMO Radars
Oculii – Recent News
- Former CEO of Continental and Opel, Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann, Joins Oculii Board of Directors
- Oculii Unveils the World’s Highest-Resolution Commercial Imaging 4D Radars, Powered by its AI Software Platform for Radar Perception
- HELLA and Oculii Establish Strategic Partnership to Deliver Radar Perception Platform That Scales From ADAS to Autonomous
- Sevensense Robotics – Start-Up Profile – Autonomous Localization and Navigation Solution for Mobile Robotics OEMs, Integrators and Others
- Start-up Profile – DreamVu – Novel 360° 3D Vision System Enables VR, Localization, Mapping, Object Tracking, More
- Start-Up Profile – Target Arm – A Novel Solution for Drone Launch and Recovery
- Start-Up Profile – Alias Robotics – Deep Expertise Informs Robotics Cybersecurity SW, HW and Consulting Solutions
- Start-up Profile – Robot Nordic – Technological Flexibility and Agile Methods Deliver Custom Robotics and Automation Solutions
- Start-up Profile – Autonodyne – Reducing the Cost & Complexity of Commercial, Civil & Defense UAS Ops
- Start-up Profile – Omnirobotic – Reducing the Cost of Robot Programming for ‘High Mix’ Manufacturers
- Start-up Profile – FLX Solutions – A Cost Effective Tool for Inspecting and Repairing Industrial Piping in Unreachable Locations
- Start-up Profile – Veo RoboticsStart-up Profile – Flexiv – ‘Adaptive’ Robotics Solutions Empowered by Advanced Force Control