Editor’s Note: Robotics Business Review‘s coverage emphasizes innovation, including start-up companies (or ‘young’ companies). RBR “Start-Up Profiles” highlight individual start-up companies using a consistent, templated format that makes for quick, yet informed reading, that also simplifies comparative analysis.
Photoneo – Company Profile
|Country:||Slovakia||# of Employees:
Funding Status – Photoneo has raised approximately US $13 million (€11.1million) in funding over 2 rounds, with the latest Series A round coming in December 2018. Photoneo is currently not seeking further funding.
Photoneo has developed a revolutionary 3D sensing technology named “Parallel Structured Light”, which captures the entire surface areas of moving objects, allowing their 3D reconstruction in high quality, without motion artifacts.
Photoneo – Offerings Profile
Primary Target Markets – Logistics / Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Other
Technology / Product / Service(s) – Photoneo offers smart automation solutions powered by robotic vision and intelligence. The company’s portfolio consists of industrial-grade machine vision systems developed in house, and a set of robotic intelligence solutions. Photoneo’s systems are universal and flexible, which allows their deployment in a wide range of sectors, including logistics, e-commerce, automotive, manufacturing, medicine, and many others.
Photoneo has developed a revolutionary 3D sensing technology named “Parallel Structured Light”, which captures the entire surface areas of moving objects, allowing their 3D reconstruction in high quality, without motion artifacts. The Parallel Structured Light technology powers the company’s MotionCam-3D product, a 3D camera for capturing objects moving up to 90 miles per hour.
Value Proposition – The key value propositions for Photoneo technology and solutions include:
- Photoneo’s 3D sensing solutions help companies improve their logistics, manufacturing, and other types of industrial processes, increasing productivity, and efficiency in the process, while reducing costs and the risk of worker injuries.
- The industrial-grade quality of Photoneo’s 3D vision systems ensures high levels of performance even in demanding industrial environments, including challenging lighting conditions.
- Undergirding Photoneo’s 3D vision systems is a unique, flexible, and universal robotic intelligence systems powered by AI.
- Photoneo’s Parallel Structured Light 3D sensing technology has been selected for many prestigious awards including, the RBR50 Robotics Innovation Award 2021, inVision Top innovation 2021, IERA Award 2020, Vision Systems Design 2019 Innovators Platinum Award 2019, inVision Top Innovation 2019, and Vision Award 2018.
- Photoneo provides regular training on Photoneo products and solutions including specialized 1-on-1 sessions with Photoneo’s engineering team and consultancies with Photoneo’s sales team. The company also produces webinars and blogs providing information on the latest developments in the automation field.
Demand Drivers – The primary demand drivers for Photoneo’s solutions include the desire to reduce operational costs, optimize logistical or production processes, increase productivity and throughput, reduce the risk of injuries, modernize and increase automation levels, and gain and maintain a competitive advantage on the market
Photoneo cooperates with over 40 partners and distributors around the world as well as with many technical universities.
Photoneo – Business Model(s) and Competition
Business Model – Photoneo offers its solutions and services through direct sales, as well as through distributors, integrators, and partners.
Partners – Photoneo is headquartered in Bratislava, Slovakia, with branch offices in Boston, USA, and Shanghai, China. The company cooperates with over 40 partners and distributors around the world as well as with many technical universities. These include the JAMK University of Applied Sciences, Brno University of Technology, University of Osijek, Technical University of Ostrava, Slovak University of Technology, and others.
Customers – Photoneo’s latest automation projects include:
- An innovative application that enables the automation of a car body production process for Volkswagen Slovakia, a.s.
- A solution for dynamic generation of robot trajectory for automated pressure washing of heavy machinery for a TRINITY project that includes Centria University of Applied Sciences, Convergent Information Technologies GmbH, and LRA-Raskashuolto Oy;
- Precise picking and placement of pipe parts for Isotubi, S.L.
- Automated inspection of heat exchangers for DAIKIN Pilsen
- Robotic stacking of parts on pallets for Tement International
- Bin Picking of heavy metal spheres for ROSSUM integration, s.r.o.
- And many others
Photoneo – Recent News
- Bin Picking Studio Robot Database Extended by KUKA LBR iiwa
- Photoneo Universal Depalletizer Joins the UR+ Applications Kit
- Bin Picking Studio 1.5.2 Supports New Robot Models!
- Photoneo Solutions Now Available Also in Pakistan and Neighboring Countries
- The Revolution is in Motion – Meet the Ultimate 3D Camera
- Ottonomy – Start-Up Profile – Autonomous Mobile Robots Provide for Outdoor and Indoor, Contactless Deliveries
- Accerion – Start-Up Profile – Triton System Delivers Millimeter Level Localization Accuracy for Mobile Robots
- Start-Up Profile – Ava Robotics – Autonomous Mobile Robots Power Telepresence and Disinfection Solutions
- Start-Up Profile – Oculii – Intelligent Software Increases Resolution, Sensitivity and Range of Radar
- Start-Up Profile – Sevensense Robotics – Autonomous Localization and Navigation Solution for Mobile Robotics OEMs, Integrators and Others
- Start-up Profile – DreamVu – Novel 360° 3D Vision System Enables VR, Localization, Mapping, Object Tracking, More
- Start-Up Profile – Target Arm – A Novel Solution for Drone Launch and Recovery
- Start-Up Profile – Alias Robotics – Deep Expertise Informs Robotics Cybersecurity SW, HW and Consulting Solutions
- Start-up Profile – Robot Nordic – Technological Flexibility and Agile Methods Deliver Custom Robotics and Automation Solutions
- Start-up Profile – Autonodyne – Reducing the Cost & Complexity of Commercial, Civil & Defense UAS Ops
- Start-up Profile – Omnirobotic – Reducing the Cost of Robot Programming for ‘High Mix’ Manufacturers
- Start-up Profile – FLX Solutions – A Cost Effective Tool for Inspecting and Repairing Industrial Piping in Unreachable Locations
- Start-up Profile – Veo Robotics
- Start-up Profile – Flexiv – ‘Adaptive’ Robotics Solutions Empowered by Advanced Force Control