Listen to this article
Editor’s Note: Robotics Business Review‘s coverage emphasizes innovation, including start-up companies (or ‘young’ companies). RBR “Start-Up Profiles” highlight individual start-up companies using a consistent, templated format that makes for quick, yet informed reading, that also simplifies comparative analysis.
Sevensense Robotics – Company Profile
|Country:||Zurich||# of Employees:
Management – Gregory Hitz (CEO), Renaud Dubé (CTO), Gianluca Cesari (CBDO), Marcin Dymczyk (CPO), Andreas Pfrunder (COO), Roland Siegwart (Board Member), Beat Kälin (Board Chairman)
Funding Status – Sevensense is in the process of raising a Series A.
Through a combination of software and hardware, Sevensense offers a complete and easy-to-integrate solution for the autonomous navigation of all kinds of service machines in dynamic environments.
Sevensense Robotics – Offerings Profile
Primary Target Markets – Logistics / Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Retail
Technology / Product / Service(s) – Sevensense product offerings include:
- Alphasense Position – A localization unit based on Vision-SLAM and relying on our proprietary multi-camera sensor that enables the highest level of robustness, reliability and customization available on the market.
- Alphasense Autonomy – A vision-based navigation solution that leverages cameras to autonomously drive any mobile ground vehicle to destination while performing obstacle avoidance in any environment.
The technology behind Sevensense’s Alphasense Position and Alphasense Autonomy solutions include advanced computer vision and AI algorithms. Through a combination of software and hardware, Sevensense offers a complete and easy to integrate solution for the autonomous navigation of all kinds of service machines in dynamic environments.
Value Proposition – The leading value propositions for Sevensense solutions include:
- Innovative – Sevensense technology makes everyday service vehicles – from forklifts to cleaning machines – move independently in dynamic and unstructured indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Cost Efficiency – Sevensense delivers the best solution for localization and navigation because it brings the benefits of 3D lidar solutions at a very competitive price.
- Versatility – Sevensense technology can be installed and implemented in multiple kinds of vehicles across several industries.
Demand Drivers – While industries have automated many processes, most are of the static type and/or present limited mobility. The automation that comes with the Sevensense technology empowers industrial automation, making the deployment of autonomous mobile robots possible on a much larger scale.
Further, most manufacturers of mobile machinery, such as forklifts or pallet movers, feel the market demand for automated solutions, but neither have the ability nor the resources to develop autonomous systems. They must rely on expert engineering to advance their products to the next level. Hence, Sevensense provides OEMs with an easy applied, innovative and cost efficient solution
Sevensense customers are typically OEMs with a strong focus on innovation that provide solutions for material handling, professional cleaning, retail tasks, construction work and more
Sevensense Robotics – Business Model(s) and Competition
Business Model – Sevensense works directly with OEMs and system integrators to implement the autonomy systems into the mobile robots. The product sale is performed directly and through a network of value added resellers.
Partners – Sevensense partners with different companies and organizations that support the continuing research and innovation of the products. Most importantly, ETH Zurich‘s strong contribution is substantiated by the support of Wyss Zurich and the collaborations with the Autonomous Systems Lab and the Robotics Systems Lab.
Customers – Sevensense customers are typically OEMs with a strong focus on innovation that provide solutions for material handling, professional cleaning, retail tasks, construction work and more. Sevensense’s customers range startups and SMEs, to large corporations and academia.
Competitive Landscape – Competitive solutions for Sevensense include other Visual-SLAM (vSLAM) and autonomy providers. According to Sevensense, other vSLAM suppliers do not provide full autonomy solutions, while autonomy providers rely on legacy technology which are not as versatile, reliable and cost effective as what is offered by Sevensense.
Sevensense Robotics – Recent News
- From Success Story to Cleaning Robot
- Top 100 Startups: Sevensense Robotics AG
- Venture Leaders Technology 2020 Hosted by the U.S. Embassy in Bern
- Startup Days- Seven Winners From Five Verticals
- Switzerland`s Top Engineering Startups 2020
- RoboDK – Start-Up Profile – Powerful, Cross Platform, Robotics Simulation & Programming Environment
- Tessella Automation – Start-Up Profile – Modular System Increases Robot Automation Flexibility
- Start-Up Profile – Eureka Robotics – Robotics Automation Solutions for High Accuracy – High Agility Tasks
- Start-up Profile – PickNik Robotics – Deep Expertise in Support of Robotics Consulting and Custom Development
- Start-up Profile – Flexiv – ‘Adaptive’ Robotics Solutions Empowered by Advanced Force Control