Editor’s Note: Robotics Business Review’s coverage emphasizes innovation, including start-up companies (or ‘young’ companies). RBR “Start-Up Profiles” highlight individual start-up companies using a consistent, templated format that makes for quick, yet informed reading, that also simplifies comparative analysis.
FarmWise – Company Profile
|Country:||USA||# of Employees:||50|
Founders – Sebastien Boyer (Cofounder and CEO), Thomas Palomares (Cofounder and CTO)
Funding Status – $20.2 million raised so far (Series A)
FarmWise builds innovative systems and processes to streamline farm operations and increase food production efficiency.
FarmWise – Offerings Profile
Primary Target Markets – Agriculture
Technology / Product / Service(s) – For vegetable growers who face increased growing costs and new regulatory pressures, FarmWise builds innovative systems and processes to streamline farm operations and increase food production efficiency. FarmWise’s first product, an automated mechanical weeder powered by AI and robotics has captured more than 100 million crop images. Today, it is offered as a service to vegetable growers in California and Arizona.
Value Proposition – Agricultural weeding (and other similar undertakings) is a costly and labor-intensive task, and chemical methods, while effective, are expensive and often have negative environmental consequences associated with them. Farmwise leverages the best of technology available and applies it to create solutions that identify and perform plant-level interventions on the field.
Demand Drivers – The global food supply chain has come into greater focus recently as footage of farmers plowing crops back into the ground, and stories about farm workers sick with COVID-19 made headlines. But this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the many challenges facing farmers, who are being asked to feed a growing population with dwindling resources – arable land, workers, and more.
Agricultural weeding is a costly and labor-intensive task, and chemical methods, while effective, are expensive and often have negative environmental consequences associated with them.
FarmWise – Business Model(s) and Competition
Business Model – Farmwise offers its solutions as a service, providing transportation, operations, servicing, and maintenance of the equipment.
Partners – Cannot disclose at this time.
Customers – Cannot disclose at this time.
Competitive Landscape – Traditional weeding methods.
FarmWise – Recent News
- FarmWise Selected for TIME’s 2020 Best Inventions
- FarmWise Completes First Commercial Season
- How Robots Are Taking Over the Food Industry
- Putting Robots on the Farm
- The Power of AI Applied to Farming Attracts Big Players
- FarmWise Raises $14.5M to Grow Farming Robot System
- Picking Robots Address Agriculture’s Labor Shortage Challenge
- Agricultural Weeding Robots Reduce Costs, Benefits Workers and Protects the Environment
- Closing the Loop for True Autonomous Plowing
- Net Zero Farming. Not When, But How?
- Start-Up Profile – Target Arm – A Novel Solution for Drone Launch and Recovery
- Start-Up Profile – Alias Robotics – Deep Expertise Informs Robotics Cybersecurity SW, HW and Consulting Solutions
- Start-up Profile – Robot Nordic – Technological Flexibility and Agile Methods Deliver Custom Robotics and Automation Solutions